The shaping team is responsible for setting up policies and visions for future FSCONS.
It is important that the members of the Shaping team to bear in mind that the resources FSCONS have while executing a conference is limited and the all work so far has been done by volunteers. This means that we may not be able to implement all the ideas coming out of this group. It is, however, our aim to do so.
The issues discussed in the shaping team is listed and explained below.
Issues we're addressing
Over the years FSCONS have been arranged and "performed we've noticed that we, as other similar events, have much more men than women attending and executing. The FSCONS team would like FSCONS to be more of a mix between the genders, so we need to address the issue.
What need to be done:
- We need to define what gender neutrality means in our context
- We need to break down the the overall task into subtasks.
- What quantitative metrics could we use to assess different strategies to reach the goals on all levels.
- Is the conference content of previous years, presentation or promotion in some way non women friendly?
- What barriers exist for women to enter the FSCONS execution (organisation and planning)
- What barriers exist for women to attend?
- Can a blind person enjoy FSCONS?
- Is it possible for a human using a wheelchair to easily access the FSCONS' venue?
- We want a WCAG 2.0 score above 90 for 2012.
Visions for future FSCONS
What should be the future goals of FSCONS?
- Have finegrained tasks and subtasks of what constitutes gender neutrality.
- Reach our goals on gender neutrality.
- Be able to assess diffrent actions to reach our goals.
- Be able to evaulate different strategies used to see if they have any effect.
How do we work
This is something that needs to be decided by the shaping team. The current FSCONS organisation team can not impose a way of working since it may be hindering the people we want to join to actually join.
We expect recommendations for policies to come out of this group. The recommendations will be reviewed and commented by the FSCONS Core team with regards to the possibilities of implementing the recommended policies. The FSCONS Core team (why not the full managing committee?) will work hard to find staff to implement the recommended policies and turn them into policies, and if needed, update the FSCONS Manifest.
Join the shaping team
Do you want to join the FSCONS Shaping team and be part in a group shaping the future of FSCONS? Send an email to info __AT__ fscons.org
The communication is done using a mailing list. The mailing list is not public.
The communication mean may change in the future to fit the shaping team members.
- WoMoz - Women of Mozilla
- TIA The Ada Initiative (Valerie Aurora of TIA has read and commented on our Anti-harassment policy, which we are grateful for!)